Monday, October 6, 2008

It only takes two words...

to melt my already soft heart. After another gut wrenching evening of KC crying, I opened the yogurt he requested. I stuck the spoon in and he freaked. I realized he wanted to feed himself. I handed him the spoon, and he started shoveling it in. The sobs subsided. I looked at him and smiled. I didn't expect him to respond at all, but his eyes met mine and he smiled back. With barely more than a whisper I heard him say, Hi Mama. Tears filled my eyes. I got a glimpse of my son at that moment. He's in there, he just needs me to find him.
KC, keep smiling baby. I know it's hard, but when you can smile, I'll be here to smile back. I love every second of it. You are beautiful inside and out.











3 comments:

Molli Salzman said...

Karen,

KC is so lucky ot have a mom so in tune to his needs. I was happy to talk to you the other day, maybe somedy we can get the 2 guys together for a playdate.

Take care,

Molli

Danielle said...

Now I'm smiling...and blubbering!

((((hugs))))

...danielle

Mrs. M said...

Isn't it amazing that something so little is really so HUGE and heart-thumping and affects us so deeply.
Hold that "Hi Mama" close...your lovely little man.